Therapy is a broad term for any treatment for a problem with your physical or mental health. Regarding mental health, therapy, also called talk therapy or psychotherapy, is a way for mental health professionals to assess, diagnose, and treat problems with emotions, thoughts, and behavior patterns. It implies talking with a therapist or other psychotherapist, like a psychologist, and learning specific skills or ways to deal with the problem.
Someone may seek mental health counseling to:
- Help with a hard event or situation in your life.
- Address signs like too much sadness, anger, or guilt
- Depression and mental health issues should be handled.
- Work on problems in your relationships.
This article will discuss the different kinds of therapy, their advantages, who it can help, and how to find the right mental health professional.
Choices for Mental Health Therapy
Individual therapy is between one person and a psychotherapist, while couples therapy is between two people who live together and a mental health professional. But that doesn’t mean that only the people who attend therapy can benefit.
For example, each person can go to intensive counseling, and both people in a close relationship can benefit from better ways to talk to each other and interact with each other. Also, someone who goes to therapy and misses less work may help their coworkers.
Individual therapy is when a mental health professional talks with just one person. This makes it possible to tailor the treatment to the requirements of each person. It can also be called dyadic treatments or individual psychotherapy. There are different kinds of one-on-one therapy, such as:
- Cognitive behavior therapy (CBT)
- Dialectical behavior therapy (DBT)
- Psychodynamic therapy
- Reprocessing and desensitization of the eyes (EMDR)
- Humanist treatment
- Meditation therapy
In family therapy, a mental health professional works with the whole family, each family member, or sometimes organizations of family members. For example, a professional in mental health may meet with the whole family, then with each parent and child separately, and then with one parent and child or two siblings. This kind of therapy focuses on the relationships between family members and how they act. It can also be called couples and family therapy or marriage and family therapy.
Couples therapy is when a mental health professional meets with two people in a committed relationship to discuss their problems. In this type of therapy, both partners go to the same professional in mental health at the same time for therapy. But each partner may also meet with a mental health professional. Marriage counseling may be called marriage counseling if the two people are married.
Group therapy is when at least two people and one mental health professional meet to discuss problems. People getting therapy can talk to each other with the help and guidance of the psychotherapist to share their experiences. Group psychotherapy is another name for it. A support group is a type of group therapy in which everyone deals with the same problem.
Who Needs Psychotherapy?
People who have problems with their physical or mental health can get different kinds of therapy. Talk therapy is for anybody with problems with their mind, emotions, or behavior. But even people who don’t have these problems may gain something from therapy. Therapy is also for people who want help with the problems they face every day, who are going through a hard time like the death of a loved one, or who are having problems in their relationships.
The following things can be helped by therapy:
- Abuse, trauma, or neglect
- Problems with behavior
- Problems come up every day.
- Problems with feelings
- Changes or shifts in life
- Conditions of the mind
- Problems in relationships
- Things that make life hard
Other Types of Therapy
Aside from talk therapy, many other types of therapy are used to help people with health problems. Talk therapy can be used alone or in combination with another kind of therapy. For example, medication and talk therapy are often used together to treat mental health problems.
Some other kinds of therapy are:
- Drug therapy is when a prescription or over-the-counter drugs are used to treat, prevent, diagnose, or improve physical or mental health problems or their symptoms. It can be used by itself or with other types of therapy. For instance, people with mental health problems like depression may be treated with talk therapy and drugs like antidepressants.
- Animal therapy is a way to help people feel better by using animals. It helps with physical and mental health problems like high blood pressure and anxiety. This therapy can be used in addition to talking therapy and other types of medical care.
- Creative therapy is when you do creative and artistic things with a therapist to discuss and show how you feel. It can be used independently or with other treatments and care plans. Creative therapy can help people with problems in their physical and mental health, like anxiety, depression, pain, and stress, feel better. Music, art, dance, and drama are all ways to use creative therapy.
Complementary therapy is any treatment for physical or mental health that is not part of standard Western medicine but is used along with it. It is only a complementary therapy when used with other treatments, like medicine or surgery, when necessary. This is called alternative therapy, when non-mainstream treatment options are used instead of mainstream medical treatments.